A cooking, drinking & musings blog.


Karaoke "Bliss": Guess what I'm choosing to sing...

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Obscure Reference of the Week: Ennui

ennui (noun) from Dictionary.com:

Pronounciation [ahn-wee, ahn-wee; Fr. ahn-nwee]

–a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.
[Origin: 1660–70; F: boredom; OF enui displeasure]

The how and the why: This word came up when I was researching places to see in San Diego: Lonely Planet says there is "no chance to develop ennui" in this city. This is ironic, because the word embodies what gripped me last time I was there. I'm staying with my ex's parents, who are extremely nice and generous, but they aren't exactly exciting people. They don't like any contemporary music, meaning nothing before 1960 – no rock 'n' roll, club, electronica, not even pop. Their pulse races at the thought of going on a nature hike or to the symphony. The wildest they get is a margarita at dinner. Oh wee!

Maybe I should stay in a hostel.

See also "Ennui," a poem by Syliva Plath.

No comments:

Thanks for visiting! Stop by tomorrow!

Thanks for visiting! Stop by tomorrow!
A day at the park.

Mozilla Firefox


The BEST Browser to View this Blog